Is your family…
- Interested in growing their own food?
- Curious to learn how to make healthy, tasty meals?
- Excited to eat foods you grow and prepare?
The New Jersey Healthy Kids Initiative is excited to announce the launch of “Grow. Prepare. Eat.” — a free virtual food literacy program offered during Summer 2020 for children in grades 3rd-5th. Participants will engage in a 6-week virtual food literacy class to learn about the source of their food, the process that food goes through from seed to plate, and how to choose, prepare, and enjoy healthy, safe, and tasty meals and snacks. The program has two main components: Twelve (12) 30-minute live/recorded lessons covering a wide variety of food literacy topics; and post-class hands-on activities that parent/guardians and children will complete together.
Registration has closed for this program.
- July 6 to August 13
- Two (2) 30-Minute lessons per week
- AM and PM sessions offered
- FREE* and all program materials will be provided!
(*Program requires a one-time $50 registration fee which will be returned upon completion of the program. If registration fee presents a hardship, please NJHKI Program Coordinator Mara Domider at: email@example.com.)
- Have an interest in topics of food literacy and the availability of at least one guardian living in the household throughout the six-week program to assist and supervise the hands-on components of the lessons
- Have access to a smartphone, tablet; or computer with internet access
- Have access to a kitchen with infrastructure to prepare simple recipes, including: a counter, cutting board, knives, microwave or stove, oven, mixing bowls and spoons, measuring cups and spoons, and a refrigerator
- Have access to a place to grow a small plant such as a window sill that’s at least 4” wide, balcony, porch, back yard, or front yard
- Agree to attend or watch at least 80% of classes (live or recordings)
- Agree to upload proof of work for at least 80% of activities
- Agree to complete pre-, mid-, post-, and 3-month out surveys
- Be able to speak and understand English at a proficient level